- This event has passed.
Grant Writing Workshop Series: Session 2
September 24, 2020 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Successful grant writing blends the artistic and scientific talent of an investigator or a team to produce a proposal. Through this 6-part series, individuals will hear from funded researchers who will provide tips and tools used to create a proposal. Faculty researchers will share their experiences in submitting grant proposals and give tips for how to succeed through this process. Through group think, sharing, and consultations, and more, participants will be able to apply the tips and develop their own proposal for submission.
- Session 1: September 10, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Introduction, review of workshop objectives, and general outline of major sections in most of the grant applications; Types of NIH and other extramural grant opportunities; Reading and Response to the RFA/FOA/application requirements.
- Session 2: September 24, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Formulating a research question and a testable hypothesis, and preparing a Specific Aims page; Project summary, Project narrative; Preparing the background/significance and innovation sections.
- Session 3: October 8, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Preparing the Approach section: preliminary data and research strategy; rationale; pitfalls and alternatives; Figures and tables to support (effective construction of)
- Session 4: October 22, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Biostatistical Analysis/Sample size analysis/Power Analysis; Other forms as needed; IRB; Preparation of other Required sections on Resource Sharing Plan, Authentication of Key Materials; (Multiple PI and Collaboration)
- Session 5: November 5, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Preparing a budget and NIH biosketch; WesternU Approach; Timeline, Routing Sheet; Pre submission Planning
- Session 6: November 19, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Letters of Support; Subcontract/Consortium Intent; Selection and Recruitment of Expertise and Collaborators; Next Steps, Mock Panel, IRB, etc.