- This event has passed.
Grant Writing Workshop Series: Session 1
September 10, 2020 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Successful grant writing blends the artistic and scientific talent of an investigator or a team to produce a proposal. Through this 6-part series, individuals will hear from funded researchers who will provide tips and tools used to create a proposal. Faculty researchers will share their experiences in submitting grant proposals and give tips for how to succeed through this process. Through group think, sharing, and consultations, and more, participants will be able to apply the tips and develop their own proposal for submission.
This workshop series is open to all WesternU faculty and staff. Each session will be approximately 90-minutes in length and will meet every-other week beginning in September and ending in November. Attendance at ALL of 6 lectures in the series is strongly encouraged and it is anticipated that participants will work on their individual proposal development in between sessions. Completion Certifications will be given to those who attend and participate in all six sessions of the series.
Session Topics include:
- Session 1: September 10, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Introduction, review of workshop objectives, and general outline of major sections in most of the grant applications; Types of NIH and other extramural grant opportunities; Reading and Response to the RFA/FOA/application requirements.
- Session 2: September 24, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Formulating a research question and a testable hypothesis, and preparing a Specific Aims page; Project summary, Project narrative; Preparing the background/significance and innovation sections.
- Session 3: October 8, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Preparing the Approach section: preliminary data and research strategy; rationale; pitfalls and alternatives; Figures and tables to support (effective construction of)
- Session 4: October 22, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Biostatistical Analysis/Sample size analysis/Power Analysis; Other forms as needed; IRB; Preparation of other Required sections on Resource Sharing Plan, Authentication of Key Materials; (Multiple PI and Collaboration)
- Session 5: November 5, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Preparing a budget and NIH biosketch; WesternU Approach; Timeline, Routing Sheet; Pre submission Planning
- Session 6: November 19, 2020 @ 3:00 PM
- Letters of Support; Subcontract/Consortium Intent; Selection and Recruitment of Expertise and Collaborators; Next Steps, Mock Panel, IRB, etc.
Thank you to the following departments for making this event possible: Office of the Senior Vice President of Research and Biotechnology, Institutional Review Board, The Research Committee, Office of Sponsored Programs